Friday, January 19, 2007

Free Day

Our winter has gone through different stages: warmish-gee-is-this-really-winter? weather; biting cold, but sunny days; windy, cloudy, kinda cold days; and it's snowing!? days. The weatherpeople predicted that today and tomorrow were going to be the it's snowing!? kind of days. The forecasts were calling for 1-5 inches of snow, rain, sleet, ice, wind--just horrible kind of weather. They advised to buy food and water and fill your gas tank, so this was going to be the BIG STORM. In response, school districts started canceling school and city-county government offices started closing, too. G. already decided that he wasn't going to campus on Friday, but he does teach a Saturday morning class. I have a class at 1 pm Fridays; no big deal, but the campus is across town, a long way to drive in bad weather.

The rain and wind started last night. It was a very unpleasant walk with Filo. More rain this morning, so UTEP and my college canceled afternoon classes. After several more hours of rain, I guess the newspeople thought the threat level had decreased, so instead of snow warnings, it was where's the darn snow?? WE WANT SNOW! SNOW IS NICE, NOT SCARY. Fooled us, I guess. Well, fooled me really. I bought two gallons of water, even though G. and I weren't really sure what buying water would protect us from--frozen pipes? sewer line breaks? snowed in cars? mass looting of grocery stores? In all of those cases, we're ready!

The weatherpeople claim there is still a chance of snow tonight, but I think they're trying to let us down easy. The unexpected free day didn't amount to the completion of any real classwork. We hung up a towel rack and mirror, rearranged some frames on the walls, made white chili soup, and watched three episodes of King of Queens before I took an hourlong nap. I'm not that upset about my lack of initiative. Just a little upset because I didn't get to real important stuff. The stuff we did was sort of important--yet it also should have been completed during our vacation. Oh, fuck it-- I don't know if I'm just tired of beating myself up for not doing things or if total inertia has set in after an extended time home-- I'm through with this.

As for the crown, I think it needs some adjusting. Dammit.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:30 AM , Blogger Mick & Cathy said...

I must admit to ignorance, I would never have believed you actually got snow in El Paso.
Well I've learned something today.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home