Monday, August 21, 2006

Join the Revolution!

Today was my first day as a commuter. Before the move, I could take back streets to get to campus. Now, it's all freeway. Luckily, no traffic or accidents or recklessness (although I did see some lady on a cell phone. I expect to see that pretty frequently) or inclimate weather. Unluckily, my cd player is on the fritz. I drive while NPR's Morning Edition and All Things Considers is on the radio, but lately, those shows just aren't holding my attention anymore. They can be so darn nerdy. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be listening. I'm also tuning out because of the abundance of depressing news that is reported everyday. From Iraq to immigration to gas prices to Bush--nope not much to feel good about. I know that's the wrong reaction when times are tough, but sometimes you need a break from reality.

This is where the Howard Stern show comes in.

G. and I spent the summer listening to satellite radio--actually, listening to the Howard Stern show on satellite radio. This may come as a surprise, but I love Howard Stern. It's so stupid and juvenile, yet hilariously funny and entertaining at the same time. I was initiated into Howard at an early age (exactly what his critics are afraid of, I'm sure)--junior year of high school to be exact. Then the local radio station took him off and the Howard dry spell set in. We don't get a good signal on the satellite radio here, so I'm hoping to move it into my car and keep listening. That's exactly what I need for the long drive.

Move over nerd radio.

3 Comments:

At 6:18 AM , Blogger Joel said...

my satelite radio broke two weeks ago and so I've been going through Howard withdraw... I've been to every store and they're all sold out of the decent Sirius radios. It's been a rough two weeks

 
At 7:40 PM , Blogger Georgina Baeza said...

I listen to NPR too. I don't think you should be embarrassed about it. I do have to agree w/ you about the depressing news. Sometimes I have to change it to the Tejano station.

Speaking of radio in El Chuco, it used to be a lot better. Last time I was down, I couldn't find anything good to listen to. I was really looking forward to listening to KBNA and it's gone. However, it still doesn't beat Houston radio though.

 
At 10:37 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Joel--crazy how you can get so attached to Howard, huh? I feel your pain.

LBG--yep, the reality is that radio stations in El Paso stink. 92.3 changed their format a bit to classic rock and its ok; 106.7 (?) plays Rock en Espanol, but there's a lot of talking. Basically, I'm constantly changing the station.

I'm telling you, satellite radio is the wave of the future!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home