Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Storm 2006




El Paso is in the middle of it's "monsoon" season, usually a welcome relief from 100 plus degree weather. Today, monsoon turned into Storm 2006 (so dubbed by local news channels).

The rain that has been falling since Thursday is overwhelming draining ditches and the Rio Grande. El Paso usually gets 8-10 inches of rain a year; some parts of town got that much just since Thursday.

Everything seemed ok this morning when I left for class. In the middle of my first class, however, a student notified me that EPCC was closing all its' campuses. G. and I are hooked on the news coverage of flooded homes, roads, ditches--there's a lake on I-10!

Filo is extremely unhappy. She refuses to go out in the rain to pee or poop. I don't blame her actually.

Besides Filo's imminent constipation, G. and I haven't suffered much from the rain. We aren't totally scotch-free--we're scheduled to move to our new apartment on Saturday. And that new apartment just so happens to be located next to one of the flooded areas (two of the pictures are near our street). I'm not panicking just yet--highly concerned, a little headachy when I consider the boxes around me, but no panic.

I'll keep you posted.

5 Comments:

At 6:04 AM , Blogger Georgina Baeza said...

Jeez, that's insane. I thought the hail storm of 1992 was crazy. Glad you're doing alright. I hope the rain has stopped or will stop soon.

 
At 8:12 AM , Blogger Joel said...

for Filo's sake that the rain will stop soon!

 
At 2:09 PM , Blogger Mick & Cathy said...

Floods are scary my town suffered a few years ago (I was right side of the river).
I hope you are ok and everything clears quickly.

 
At 9:48 AM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Thanks for the concern.

LBG--I just missed Hailstorm 1992, but everyone agrees this is way worse. Hopefully, your family wasn't affected.

DCNats--you'll be happy to know that Filo is a-ok in that department.

WRB--It's just mind-boggling that such damage is happening in this city in the middle of a desert that was just in the middle of a drought!

 
At 7:36 PM , Blogger jennifer said...

we drove through el paso (on the way to california) on sunday afternoon, ended up spending that night in new mexico.

the next day, they had closed the I-10 East on the NM/TX border. thank God we were going west!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home