Friday, June 23, 2006

Soccer highs & lows

The US is out. I watched the game yesterday with a nervous feeling. They had to win in order to move on. Unfortunately, the team just didn't seem to be on the same page. They showed bursts of expert playing--passes completed, forward attacks, and then...not much. Except for that goal--hope returned! One more goal was very do-able until that penalty-from-nowhere and Ghana scored. 2-1 going into the half. One goal do-able, two goals against a team who would inevitably turn super defensive, hmmm...

So, where to spread the blame? Some blame the players--which reminds me, where was Donovan? It was sad to see Reyna leave the game with an injury. American players have talent and athleticism, but maybe having limited exposure to European level of competition prevents them from gaining higher level professional experience. Much blame placed on Bruce Arena for mismanaging games. He did seem to delay key substitutions and I don't like how he called specific players out after the loss to the Czechs. I think he deserves loads of credit for holding onto the coaching position for 8 years and building the team and talent. In the long run, his contributions shouldn't be overshadowed by this disappointing finish. Is it time for a new chapter in coaching? I think so.

Now, did the US deserve to move to the Round of 16? Tricky debate. Based on how the US played in their 3 games, my vote is no. Really, every team in the World Cup deserves to move on by the basic fact that they qualified. Whether or not a team actually does, well, it's not about the FIFA ranking or that happened in the last World Cup, it's about performance and delivery. Ghana delivered, as did Australia and Ecuador (all teams who weren't predicted to do well). Sure, there are teams who moved on with so-so performances (Mexico, I'm thinking of you. And the Americanista in me feels compelled to point out that Omar Bravo, who missed the penalty shot in the last game, plays for Guadalajara). Hence the fickle and unpredictable nature of the World Cup. In the end (as I've so often heard and read), the game can be won or lost as it is being played.

I'm already looking forward to the next round starting on Saturday. I'm going for Ecuador who I think has a chance against England (really!) and Australia who also has a chance over Italy(double really!). I'd love to say Mexico will win over Argentina, but based on the first round... no. Ghana and Brazil...another no for Ghana. Argentina and Brazil are way too strong. Hey, who knows, I could very easily be absolutely wrong. Just gotta tune in and see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home