Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A Few Quick Notes

I'm cooking up pasta before G. gets home, so no time for the topic that has been weighing on my mind for awhile now...my thoughts on pizza. I love pizza and think I'm quite an expert on the delicious little meal. I was going to do this whole thing on frozen pizza and still want to...someday. Wish I could say my article revisions have kept me busy, but no--more like a cross between World Cup and these goshdarn summer school classes. They seriously are driving me crazy. I've finally settled into the pace and feel comfortable with the students. Sure it took me three weeks and these are the last two weeks, but better late than never??

G. and I had our first argument related to the World Cup, more specifically, whether the US team could be described as playing "well" in their game against Italy. I said yes, they played ten times better than the first game. G. said no, bringing up the fact that the US hasn't scored a single goal, got their one goal by sheer luck, and should not move ahead into the round of 16. I said that's the nature of the World Cup and one of the many reasons why it's a fascinating phenomenon. There's more to the story, like me feeling that G. was patronizing me, which I'm super sensitive to and whenever I sense it, I tend to overreact. Soccer is the first sport I've shown any interest in and actually have researched (tactics, players, teams), so I think I know a thing or two. And I would like to share that thing or two with others and be taken seriously. Is that so wrong?

Well, I've gone World Cup cukoo. And there are still a couple of weeks left. These next rounds are even more exciting because they are elimination rounds. I'm excited. Maybe you aren't excited and wish I would move to other subjects like Filo's latest encounter with a cat or how I almost started crying in yoga (out of frustration, which is so wrong because yoga is all about not judging your own abilities). That stuff is coming. Promise.

4 Comments:

At 6:00 AM , Blogger Joel said...

okay, gotta weigh in on the debate... the US absolutely played well versus a far superior Italian team.

they dominated the entire first half, and while they were a little lucky with the own goal- it was their agressiveness that lead to the corner kick and got them that goal...

then they played virtually the entire second half down a man agasint the speedy Italians and managed to, not only hang on for the tie, but actually create a couple of very good scoring chances... No team in the history of the World Cup has scored a goal with only 9 players and the US was SO close to being the first...

as bad as that first game was, the team played very well in game 2... if they can get to the next round, they deserve it.

now having said all that, they really need to get Eddie Johnson in the game to finish better.

and by the way, I can't wait to hear your yoga crying story- but I also really love the World Cup talk!

 
At 7:58 AM , Blogger Georgina Baeza said...

Mexico! Mexico! Mexico!

I agree w/ you the the US played better.

 
At 2:05 PM , Blogger Joel said...

I HATE World Cup refs

 
At 1:01 AM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Thanks for backing me up! How do you feel about other teams in the WC? Who are you following?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home