Friday, August 04, 2006

Rain, Rain Go Away




El Paso dried out a bit the past two days. Rain is still in the forecast. Officials are now worred that a dam about a mile away from the border in Juarez is going to break, so 1,500 fled South Side last night in fear that dam might burst.

I feel so bad for El Pasoans and Juarenses who are stuggling to get water and mud out and salvage their belongings. G. and I are extremely lucky that our families live in the relatively dry part of town. It's such a random thing--the Eastside gets flooded in rainstorms too, but this time the Westside and Northeast got the brunt of the damage. I gave information about donations to the Salvation Army to my students yesterday and lectured them on community responsibility. I don't care if I sounded preachy (and coming after a lecture on civil rights and the power of mass action, it probably did); this is a crisis here and now where they can make a difference and see the impact.

We had to change the date of our move. As feared, the occupants of our new apartment couldn't move in time, so the apartment won't be ready till middle of next week. Since we basically lost our moving help, we decided to hire movers. What's funny about this turn of events is that as we notified our families about the change, you could actually hear them trying to stifle their relief at not having to carry our possessions (including the 10+ boxes of books)--the bastards. Ha, I don't blame them. G. and I practically danced with joy.

Summer school is finally over. Jesus Christ, it was a long two months. I think I offer too much extra credit. Oh well.

P.S. The pictures are from my doorway. Filo accessed the scene and basically said, "No way Jose."

2 Comments:

At 1:33 PM , Blogger Mick & Cathy said...

Your dog looks so cute.

I'm pleased the floods are clearing and you are ok.

 
At 9:29 AM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Thanks for the well-wishes. Yep, Filo is cute alright. Trouble is, she knows it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home