Thursday, September 01, 2005


It's been a few days since I've posted anything and I actually feel at a loss--I guess this blogging business is sticking to me.

I took over a Tuesday night class, so my workload increased just a wee bit for that day. After three classes in a row, I get so tired of hearing myself talk. But I must be making some sense--students are taking notes after all--or maybe they're noting that Miss looks a little crazy-eyed and has gone off on a tangent about prostitution in the West.

It takes me a week or two to get myself truly into semester-mode. For example, instead of finishing my lecture, I'm checking blogs, news, positioning the satellite radio antenna, taking an early morning nap, and reviewing my lecture. Multitasking at its best!

The news is not good. I don't want to get too much into it, you've heard and seen all the headlines. Hurricane disaster, Iraq stampedes and attacks, gas prices, and much more that makes you just shake your head. I get my news in hour long chunks, then force myself to turn off the radio or tv. Sometimes, I feel like its a relief to talk about the past because at least you know how its going to end. These recent events can make you nervous.

Here's another picture of G. & Filo. They know how to calm a crazy-eyed, nervous me.

2 Comments:

At 3:57 PM , Blogger Maggie said...

What an awesome picture of Gabe and Filomena -- so cute!

I was thinking of you guys last week when I was watching a PBS documentary called Declining By Degrees. It was a pretty devastating condemnation of higher education. Anyway, they were following this Denver Community College instructor around who teaches ELEVEN classes. It really got to the heart of why that load was so unfair to him and his students, but how funding trends push institutions to rely on part-timers more than ever.

So I'm thinking of you... hang in there!

 
At 6:45 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

I checked our PBS schedule and they weren't showing the doc :(

Yikes, 11 classes. As part time, I'm limited to four. Full timers teach 7 or 8, which is definitely too much. And they don't get TA's or any other outside help.

All I know is that something has to change since community colleges (especially EPCC) are growing so fast. Your're right--so many classes shortchanges students and instructors.

It's really frustrating to know I don't have much of a future at the community college level.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home