Monday, August 15, 2005

Coping with the Soccer Blues

I think I'm ready to talk about the El Paso Patriots.

The Patriots are the local soccer team that play in the Premier Development League which is two levels down from MLS. They had a great, winning season until this past Saturday when the Patriots faced the Des Moines Menace for the 2005 PDL Championship. The Patriots weren't quite in sync from the kickoff, but they were playing on a different field and against an unknown team. The Menace were only slightly better than the Patriots (any better and they would have won the game outright) and a heck of a lot taller than our beloved Patriotas. So many close calls through regulation time, no goals during the two fifteen minute segments of added time which meant PENALTY KICKS. Tied 2-2 until one of my favorites #23 missed (they shouldn't have put him in!! he's too young and not a striker). The Menace missed, then the Patriots missed their final chance to catch up and Menace takes the championship.

Who to blame? The Goalie who played so heroicly during regular time, but totally froze during penalty kicks? The two Patriots who missed their penatly kicks? The entire team for not playing like the awesome soccer players they proved to be during the regular season?

Who to applaud? I definitely say the El Pasoans who came out in the thousands to support the Patriots. I really hope they return next season despite the loss. And the Patriot players deserve recognition, too.

I was never into sports. Never, that is, until I started going out with Gabe and he introduced me to the world of soccer.Contrary to how most Americans think of soccer, there's something about the game that is so exciting, dramatic, thrilling. You've got great athleticism, drama between players and refs, enthusiastic announcers, and soccer hair (let's just say that highlights are very popular. And touched up weekly). Watching games on tv is one thing, but I also really like to throw myself into the Patriot games, especially chanting, working my tambourine, and heckling the other team. The other fans are awesome, too, especially the father-son team with the drums. I even feel like I'm missing something now that the Patriot season is over. I'll just have to turn all my attentions to the Mexican league and focus all my positive porra energy towards Club America! Vamos Aguilas!

2 Comments:

At 4:45 PM , Blogger under the red sky said...

Americanista?? Fuera! Fuera!

Arriba las Chivas!!!

 
At 9:21 AM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Let's hold judgement until the Super Classico, which at that point you might want to rescind your comment. Ha!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home