Tuesday, September 20, 2005

And now I'm pissed

I just read this article from the New York Times and all I can say is What is with young women today???? There are so many quotes in this article that make me want to vomit. How about the one where one guy thought it was "sexy" that his female classmates wanted stay home. Sexy?!

Here's a memorable section
  • Ms. Ku added that she did not think it was a problem that women usually do most of the work raising kids.
    "I accept things how they are," she said. "I don't mind the status quo. I don't see why I have to go against it."
    After all, she added, those roles got her where she is.
    "It worked so well for me," she said, "and I don't see in my life why it wouldn't work."
I don't mind the status quo. Of course, because everybody knows women are natural mothers and kind and bad at math and can't fix a flat tire.

Here's another:
  • Many students say staying home is not a shocking idea among their friends. Shannon Flynn, an 18-year-old from Guilford, Conn., who is a freshman at Harvard, says many of her girlfriends do not want to work full time.
    "Most probably do feel like me, maybe even tending toward wanting to not work at all," said Ms. Flynn, who plans to work part time after having children, though she is torn because she has worked so hard in school.
    "Men really aren't put in that position," she said.

EXACTLY, Shannon, men AREN'T put in that position and they WON'T be since your girlfriends and Ms. Ku up there are so ready to roll over and accept that it is solely a woman's choice whether to stay home or not. Can you say traditional gender roles??

One reason why I'm totally annoyed with the opinions expressed in the article is the fact that these 18 years olds are so goddamn sure they will live in the financial comfort necessary in order to leave behind that pesky career "experience" and stay home with their children. Or that they will want to leave their work or even that they'll have X amount of children. Well, how fucking nice for them.

Moments like these seriously make me doubt the future of Roe v. Wade.

I must stop and pick this up later--I can better analyze everything with a cooler head.

Here's the rest of the article so you can make up your mind. Many Women at Elite Colleges Set Career Path to Motherhood http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/20/national/20women.html?incamp=article_popular_1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home