Monday, February 12, 2007

Babies

I got surprise news yesterday from one of my closest friends. We haven't lived in the same city for about five years now. For being old, close friends, we don't often talk or email. Maybe once a month a quick email or phone call to catch up on things. Still, she is one of my go-to people for instant reassurances, as a voice of reason, and for good 'ol cattiness and gossip.

And now she's pregnant. First time and slightly unexpected.

That news isn't shocking in the old-fashioned way--she's married a year, they dated and lived together close to nine years before that. It's just...wow. For me, this is a big moment, this is an actual child that will belong to somebody I stayed up drinking with until 6 am only a month ago. This is somebody who I can cite multiple examples of irresponsible behavior. Don't get me wrong, she is going to be a really great mom and the baby is going to be beautiful (sometimes they aren't, even though you aren't supposed to admit that).

Like typical me, I can't help but feel a tinge of I'm-not-sure-what. It feels a little sad, a bit wistful. This news comes along with my sister's first pregnancy. There ARE more reasons for my mild melancholy, lest you think I'm longing for a little bundle of my own. This year marks my high school graduation's ten year reunion; I'm turning 29 in November; rather than contemplating life insurance, I'm filling out FAFSA and going back to school; and my parents have become Old People*. So, I'm fighting something that isn't new for me--considering what I am doing compared to what I should be doing at this age, in this stage.

I've always had trouble living and enjoying the Now. It usually is a matter of worrying about the future, dwelling on mistakes, stressing about the details, preparing myself for the upsets. Yet something that is so wonderful as new babies just makes me want to sob. Am I being too sentimental (car commercials have been known to make me cry), or is it ok to allow myself to feel deeply instead of putting it away? Or is it all hormonal??? (I'm partially kidding about the last one).

*Characterized by complaints, grumpiness, cheapness, and always feeling cold (among other things).

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1:05 PM , Blogger jennifer said...

it's a strange thing that wanting to sob with news as wonderful as a new babies. but i've been there, too.

i think that part of it is that you live your life with your best friend, marking all the same milestones. and it's hard when your life paths start to diverge. i think that part of it is that you can't help but compare your life to hers (are you not where you *should* be in life?). and part of it feeling like you might lose her somehow.

my best friend has just had baby #2. our relationship has definitely changed, but we both make an effort to keep in touch, to continue to be best friends.

i don't feel sad about the babies any more because i see that both of our lives are good, just now in very different ways. and they're just so darn cute!

(sorry this comment is so long!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home