Friday, February 03, 2006

Saturday already?!

It's almost Saturday--I do love the weekend. G. has a class tomorrow morning and plenty of reading, too, and I have a long list of things to-do, so (on the surface) this Saturday could easily resemble last Saturday (see the "I'm Bored" post). What might make a difference is that we have a stockpile of wine, a fridge stocked with yummy food, and I'm in the middle of a cultural analysis of Michael Jackson (On Michael Jackson by Margo Jefferson). Good prospects.

I pushed through the boredom last week and ended up watching pieces-parts of four movies of varying quality: Saturday Night Fever (I love this movie. I own this movie. I've memorized several key dance moves in this movie), Private Parts (I'm actually a big Howard Stern fan. He aired in El Paso for a short time while I was in high school, then was suddenly and inexplicably taken off the air. Luckily, I've rediscovered Howard on Sirius--more evidence that satellite radio is fucking awesome), Capturing the Friedman's (disturbing, thought-provoking look at a family in crisis through their own home videos. Brought up a lot of questions about how memories can be manipulated by our own minds, other people, and even media like video tapes. Worth checking out), finally, Running Scared (Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines--yeah, the dancer, those wacky 80's!!!--play tough cops on the mean streets of Chicago. Overflowing with cop-schtick-buddy picture crap. Which makes me wonder if that plotline was actually funny in 1986? Oh, and if Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines aren't enough starpower for you, Jimmy Smits is thrown in as.....yep, the local Cuban-Columbian-Puerto Rican-generic Latino drug kingpin.)

Varying quality indeed.

1 Comments:

At 8:30 AM , Blogger Joel said...

"finally, Running Scared (Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines--yeah, the dancer, those wacky 80's!!!--play tough cops on the mean streets of Chicago."

just reading that like made my day... I forgot that movie even existed. VERY high on the Un-Intentional Comedy Scale.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home