Sunday, September 03, 2006

Blogging in the 505*

G. and I (plus 2 more) drove up to Albuquerque yesterday. This visit is not really a vacation because I have research to do for my article. I'm looking through my old research files and other sources for images and maps of the neighborhood I wrote the article about. Unfortunately, I'm not having very much luck finding recent images or maps. I also just spent a rather frustrating hour or so scouring the library shelves for a book and coming up with nothing. This has happened to me in the past, as if books purposely lose themselves whenever I need them. As a (n indulgent) sidenote, I looked for my thesis. I've got a call number all my own!!, but couldn't find that it either. Books hate me.

Albuquerque is a cool, unique city. Last night, we ate a delicious meal at the Martini Grill (loads of ambiance) and had a drink at the best bar in the world, The Anodyne. This morning we ate at the famous (at least in these parts) Frontier restaurant where it's all about the flour tortillas and honey. Now, I'm sitting in one of my favorite coffee shops among kooky Albuquerqians who love their wire-frame glasses and extra laid-back attire. The weather is cooler, like fall has already started here, so everyone's wearing a mix of shorts, sweaters, tees and scarves. It does feel a wee-bit weird to be among so many Anglo Americans in one spot (Anglos are in El Paso too, of course, but they are more spread out).

We witnessed another aspect of Albuqueque last night. Behind our hotel, practically outside our window, three police cars drove up to deal with some guy beating up a woman.

I guess you gotta take the bad with the good.


*505 is Abq's area code.

2 Comments:

At 9:36 PM , Blogger jennifer said...

we were just there last month! i love albuquerque. even though it's for work, i hope that you get to enjoy it as a partial vacation. if you haven't been, the view from sandia peak is breathtaking.

 
At 10:54 AM , Blogger Mick & Cathy said...

One of my friends at work visited Albuquerque last year and really enjoyed.
Forget the research and least you got a trip out and to eat at some nice restaurants.
Blokes who hit women need a good slap.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home