Thursday, March 16, 2006

Have you ever experienced an adult tantrum? I have--today to be exact.

Like A Perfect Storm (the movie), the conditions for my adult tantrum developed slowly:
  • AM headache
  • Challenging workout where I bemoaned my love for dessert and blamed my parents for not making me play sports
  • Delayed much needed shower for four hours to eat lunch, wash dishes, bathe Filo, watch Goonies (the movie)
  • received very annoying phone call from my mother who asked for the upteenth time if she should get a dog
  • Bed was never made
  • And the final element to provoke my no-wire-hangers moment--the remote control went missing

Within moments, I erupted into a yelling, frustrated harpy. Filo escaped to the bedroom; G. shouted possible locations for the remote control from the shower ("NO, IT'S NOT IN THE FUCKING SOFA CUSHIONS"). I even started crying, no, sobbing actually and sprawled on the floor, in just the right place to see the remote control under the TV stand.

This is the type of moment that probably shouldn't be recorded in my blog (Hello future employers!) But doesn't everybody experience moments where life itself is so intolerable that nothing short of screaming will ameliorate the frustration? Thankfully, it doesn't last long--it shouldn't last long at all (and if it does, then you've got problems).

Really, all I needed was a shower.

2 Comments:

At 8:11 AM , Blogger Joel said...

wow, that was an impressive tantrum, I can't recall the last adult tantrum I had which probably means I'm do for one... why does your mom ask you if she can get a dog?

 
At 6:53 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

My mom calls me up to talk about dogs because I'm supposed to help my mom decide if she is a good candidate for a dog. So, I remind her about the grooming and vet visits, and how the dog needs to be housebroken and what a pain that process is. She listens patiently and usually agrees with me and the case is closed... until she sees Filomena and that gets her to start thinking all over again about getting a dog. Then she calls me...and the cycle continues.

Oh, moms are funny, especially as everybody gets older.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home