Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter = Candy

G., Filomena, and I spent the afternoon at my parent's house. My sister and her husband were there, too. For some reason, we don't often get together the bunch of us, so today was special. We ate steak, baked potato, pasta salad, and (yum) sausage.

After dinner, we watched Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Good movie...rather intense and a little confusing. The movie was also a little long, it seemed like three hours long. It could have just been the fact that we were sitting in a stuffy room with no clocks (my parent's house has a scarcity of clocks).

G. and I cleaned up on Easter candy--marshmellow Peeps, chocolate covered Cadbury mini-eggs and M&M's, Snicker eggs, Cadbury eggs (you know the ones, with the gooey, too-sweet-center) and jellybeans. Oh, boy. I think all the candy + figuring out the movie's plot + stuffy room + steak dinner made my head fuzzy. I should just shower and head straight to bed.

I'm such a lapsed Catholic that to me, Easter is primarily equated with awesome candy. I do think that's a little sad. But at the same time, Easter means seeing my family; wouldn't Jesus be happy about that? I have tried to get into the whole Church-mass deal again. Hasn't worked out; I just don't like what I hear in there. Maybe I need to investigate other faiths, although my mother would just die at the very mention of changing faiths. I was very interested in converting to Judaism while in high school. Not sure exactly why. I'm very embarrassed to say it might have been related to my interest in Woody Allen movies. Oh, wait, I know. While in mock trial (another embarrassing tidbit), our team had a lawyer-advisor who was Jewish. He even invited me and two friends to his parent's house on the pretense of learning more about the faith or to celebrate Passover (I think). Funny thing is, we didn't do anything connected to Passover. We did meet his mother and sister. I bet his sister (in her 30's) had no idea why her brother (in his late 30's) would invite three 17 years olds to his parent's house I'm wondering the same thing now! Anyway, we were enthralled with him as a confident, wealthy (his parent's lived in the very, very nice part of EP) grown-up--and a Jew, I suppose. We asked him all sorts of questions about his life and work. He was a good sport in answering most of them. He tried his hardest to come off as suave, which we thought was sooo funny that he would try to impress us. Best of all, though, he thought us mock trial-ers were hilarious and smart. Made us feel important and not like 17 years olds at all.

Oh, dear, I've digressed. I blame the sugar.

1 Comments:

At 6:19 AM , Blogger Joel said...

that reminds me of when I converted to Islam for like 2 weeks when was in 10th grade... only, I didn't have some semi-creepy older guy take me to meet his family and convert me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home